Monday, August 17, 2009

The New Confusion Hill Bridge

I decided to take a look at the new Confusion Hill bypass bridge using the CalTrans webcam. Looks good. I've been wondering, though. There shouldn't be any problems with people using the bridge that are headed north as they go off the bridge and on to the freeway. But what about going the other way?

People will be flying along the bridge at freeway speeds and when they get to the south end you run into some sharp curves. I'm wondering how many people will ignore any warning signs, end up not slowing down enough when they get off the bridge and run off the road or into a tree?

Then again, we haven't heard of anything like that happening so far, have we?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

All I know is navigating the southbound side is much easier now. Can't wait until they open northbound.

If you want to talk about messed up roads, what is up with the road between Scotia and Eureka? "Uneven surface" is an understatement. More like we tore out the freeway and forgot to repave it. Makes me not want to even go to Costco. I guess I'm not missing much.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Can't wait until they open northbound.

I believe I read in the paper a few days ago the northbound lanes are open now.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger kaivalya said...

I drive 2 round trips over Confusion Hill each week and so far there hasn't been any speeding that I've seen in that area. If anything people are slowing down to take in the view.

Leggett Valley area is the major CHP radar zone.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

Fred, you and the newspaper were correct. There are still cones and workers but it is all good now.

Finally, an end to the era of "I wonder if I'll be able to get back" winter freeway driving.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Unless the bridge collapses from an earthquake, or something.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Humboldt said...

Just drove over the bridge northbound last Friday. It's a beautiful bridge-very elegant. Too bad you can't see it's entirety as you drive on it.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Rose said...

It is beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home