Monday, February 26, 2007

NOT NOW!

Did you all feel it- The earthquake this morning? It was bigger than I'd first thought.

I've found in the early morning earthquakes sometimes seem larger than they are, it being calm and quite amplifying the effects. I've also found I can feel or hear earthquakes early in the morning that I might not even notice later in the day.

So, I'm laying in bed and feel a couple short shakes then a fairly strong jolt. I'm thinking to myself; "Not now. I don't want my house torn apart in this kind of weather...". When an earthquake hits, you never know how long it's going to last or how powerful it will be. Will this be the Big One?

I told the wife, not even knowing if she was awake, "That was a pretty good one...". She said something along the line that it wasn't probably as big as it felt. When I got up and checked online I found they rated it 5.4. Not bad. Good thing it was a short one.

Then you start wondering if it was just a pre- shock to the Big One, but everything settles down and seems ok. Doesn't mean much, though. The Big One could still happen anytime.


5 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I counted 14 seconds. It was a pretty good ride. Didn't feel any panic. It woke everyone up in our house. The hamster and the bunny were excited. The dog wasn't even bothered.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Didn't feel it at all. What time did it happen?

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4:20

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Actually, 4:19, at least according to my clock (I looked) and the earthquake web site.

Kind of threw me at first when I checked the earthquake site. The first mention of it, on the map, said 5:00. I couldn't figure out the disprepancy.

I guess that was just a general time reference. Looking for more specific details I found a page with the exact time which matched what my clock said.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made our cat crazy for a while.

Strongest quake we have had for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home