Friday, April 07, 2006

NOT Kickoff a Success

The No On Measure T kick off event yesterday went very well, as far as I'm concerned. I figured maybe 25 to 30 people were there and it looks like the Eureka Reporter agrees with me.

Chris Crawford did a great job with his presentation. Reporters and others asked some questions and things seemed to move along without a hitch. A number of people, including myself, hung around after the formal meeting ended. Joy Finley hung around until I left, as did Nancy Flemming.

First time I'd ever spoken to Nancy, although I'd seen her in person at a National Guard event years ago. She sure has a pleasant personality. She told me she regularly visits this blog and the Buhne Tribune. See, I told you: Anybody who's anybody...

Rex Bohn, was there as well. I was surprised he knew who I was and my name. I'd spoken to him briefly, once before, as he was leaving the Arkley's house. I didn't recall giving him my name, but maybe I did.

I believe he said something about reading this blog and referred to the Arkley's being neighbors of mine, which I've mentioned here, even though they live two blocks away. He even knew where I live. See: Anybody who's anybody...

Oh, he said he wouldn't be running for Mayor of Eureka, for those that are interested.

Our very own Rose, showed up for the meeting. First time I'd met her in person and it was a pleasure. She tells me she was surprised at how many people she knew there. I didn't get to speak with her as much as I would have liked as there were so many people and so little time.

I ended up speaking with former Green Party guy, Charles Douglas, for a while. In fact, as we were leaving, he took a picture of me and Nancy Flemming rubbing elbows in the parking lot. If you get a chance, Charles, send me the photo and I'll post it here.

Charles was there taking notes for a story for his online paper and was sitting next to someone during the meeting I thought was probably some other newspaper type guy, maybe from the Advocate or Arcata Eye, since he asked a few questions.

Turned out to be Dennis Mayo, local activist from Mckinleyville. I'd never had known except for Rose telling me who he was later on. Never thought to ask while he was speaking with Charles and I.

I got to meet Jerry Partain, also. We've exchanged a few e-mails over time, but this was the first time we'd met in person. I keep telling him to start his own blog. He's interested and says he'll get around to it, eventually.

All in all, a pleasant time for me, surprised as I was, being one of those agoraphobia types that fears crowds and unfamiliar surroundings. After I got home, I got to wondering how the Measure T supporters would respond.
**********
Shamelessly, albeit expectedly, Kaitlin- over at Democracy Unlimited- says they stand behind Measure T as it will benefit the community: Union contributions good- Corporate contributions bad. In other words: We know what's best for you and our favored interests should be allowed to contribute but the other side shouldn't.

Kaitlin, Kaitlin, Kaitlin...I should come over there and give you a pink belly.

It will be interesting to see if their obsession with corporations and their anti- corporate mantra carries the day on June 6.
********************
I was disappointed to see Rob Arkley pipe in on the issue, sending some communique to the county counsel advising it was in the county's best interest to oppose Measure T in order to avoid paying legal penalties when Measure T loses in court.

I think it would have been best if he would have stayed on the sidelines in this matter as it only adds fuel to the fire. Not that he's not entitled to get involved. I just think it confuses the issue for some people.

As an aside, after I came home and it got around to beer o'clock, who stops by my house but Bonnie Neely. She's out canvassing the neighborhood for her re- election bid. We had a short chat in my driveway of little substance.

Not saying that was her fault as I think she knew kinda where I stood and there weren't really any questions I wanted to ask. She didn't seem too familiar with me but seemed to recognize the name.

All in all, one of the more interesting days in my life over the last few years. Boy, talk about having NO LIFE!


19 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at that list of names Fred.. you have officially become a conservative! Congrats!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I think you'd be hard pressed to call Charles Douglas a conservative.

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out Fred,you shouldn't be seen talking to people.Hey,are you a stool pigeon for Flemming?If not, try it out.And is this limitation ordinance available for the public yet?

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is not a democrat vs republican issue - its one about fairness and constitutional limitations on what people can do to stifle comment on political issues. Its a damn shame that the local dem party weighed in on this as Measure T is blatantly unconstitutional and they didn't care about that. Fortunately, there are enough dems out there (like me) who will not tow a party line we know to be wrong. Shame on you HCDCC and shame on you Patrick Riggs

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dems endorsed Neely over Richard Marks,a registered dem.Marks supports measure T as well.Bonnie's no friend of Gallegos,if I'm not mistaken.The dems shouldn't have endorsed either Neely or Gallegos.Although Dikeman shouldn't overreact to it.He made his point and should move on.Or maybe Paul should retract his acceptance of the endorsement.I guess its too late now anyways.I understand that the Eureka greens may endorse Marks tomorrow,then the county greens on April 15th.It'll be Neely and Flemming in a runoff in November.Ranked voting would sure save a lot of time and money.

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The HCDCC haven't announced their endorsement of Gallegos yet, but it probably a foregone conclusion, given Riggs and Nancy Four Waters involvement with Gallegos, and Claire Courtney's letting Salzman use her name to send his hit pieces.

Sad.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

mresquan wrote:"Watch out Fred,you shouldn't be seen talking to people.".

I think it's kind of funny. Puts me in the same league with, was it Jill Geist? Seen rubbing elbows with some Republican gal at that democrat affair. Was it Salzman, or someone else that got all over her case for it?

mresquan also wrote:"And is this limitation ordinance available for the public yet?"

I assume you're referring to the idea of limiting campaign contributions to $500?

It's just a proposal at this point, and the dollar amounts aren't cast in stone. Jerry Partain jokingly suggested the limit be $10.00, as he's weary of getting hit up for money for the various political campaigns.

As Chris Crawford, and some others brought up, if there was universal support for the idea, there might not be a need for a ballot initiative and it might be accomplished via the Board of Supervisors, or some such.

Rex Bohn is strongly in favor of the limitation, as seem to be most folks. Whatever.

As I've said here before, and reminded Rex Bohnp of; I'm leery of any such limits as it automatically puts the minority at a disadvantage, even if all else remained equal. He agreed.

That said, seems to me the minority will ALWAYS be at some disadvantage. But, at least being able to tap into a large contributor could help them even out the playing field as far as getting their message out or going through the hoops of even getting their issue on the ballot.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"The dems endorsed Neely over Richard Marks,a registered dem."

Interesting they can do that. The Libertarian Party bylaws, at least at the state level, don't allow for the party to endorse non- LP candidates, although I'm not sure about Decline to State. We can't ENDORSE a Republican, Democrat or Green, etc.

Now, we can supposedly RECOMMEND people vote for someone outside the party but that's supposed to be not quite as strong as an endorsement.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dems didn't endorese Neely over Marks. They supported Neely above Marks so wouldn't extend him their endorsement in order to support her. Unfortunately, they broke their own by-laws which forbid them to even support a non-dem.

Well I guess they've been ignoring lots of things in their by-laws given this endorsement issue. If they endorse anyone in either the DA or 5th district race, they are going to end up really splitting their party vote and watering down their message.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes! mixing with conservative republicans AND charles douglas. I KNEW there was darkness within you fred! I knew I'd find a chink in your holy armor!

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy Fleming is distusting

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those the same dems going on KMUD and saying they were going to hold their nose and vote for Bonnie/ Yeah. That's the kind of support I want.

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a life long Democrat. Party of the working class. Call me at 445-3432. If you want a REP. call Bonnie or Nancy. I will not support Republicans. Period.
Richard Marks

 
At 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, ted kennedy, cynthia "punchy" mckinney, john kennedy, and the clintons are "working class". Got any more humor for us Mark? So tell us again WHY you are a life long demorat and why you will always be one?

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I wouldn't call john kerry "working class" either

but the true old school dems definitely were for the working class. now they are for the entitlement class.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fred,

Why didn't you include any news about Arkley supporting your effort against Measure T?

http://www.times-standard.com/local/ci_3691193

He really took it to 'em!

I would think you would be happy about this. Should at least help with your fundraising efforts...

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trouble with Measure T, besides it's fatal flaws, is that it's proponents fail to understand that the system works. The system works. It is not broken. Huffington, and others who poured big money into campaigns, lost. Money doesn't necessarily mean you win.

It's proponents think people are stupid. People are not stupid. They are much smarter than that. If you support measure T it means you think you are too stupid to think for yourself, and that everyone around you is too stupid to think for themselves, too stupid to see behind the hype, and to stupid to make the right decision for the right reason.

The people behind Measure T disrespect us all.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

10:57 wrote: "Why didn't you include any news about Arkley supporting your effort against Measure T?"

I did. If you read the full post, you'd have seen the following:

"I was disappointed to see Rob Arkley pipe in on the issue, sending some communique to the county counsel advising it was in the county's best interest to oppose Measure T in order to avoid paying legal penalties when Measure T loses in court."

"I think it would have been best if he would have stayed on the sidelines in this matter as it only adds fuel to the fire. Not that he's not entitled to get involved. I just think it confuses the issue for some people."

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least its not just a theory that measure t will be litigated into oblivion if passed, its now a sure thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home