Saturday, April 15, 2006

Blogging For Liberty

The latest issue of the Libertarian Party of California's newsletter, California Freedom, came in the mail yesterday. I've been getting it for months now but I'm not sure why. I stopped paying dues to the state organization some time ago.

Of interest to me was the article on page 3 on spreading liberty through blogging. Interesting, if only because I'd sent a heads up to the editor of California Freedom about the potential for spreading libertarian ideas via blogging after the article on Humboldt Blogs ran in the North Coast Journal back in January.

They actually ended up doing a story on the subject but made no mention of my blog. The article mentions a couple others done by LPers:

The first one, e-liberty, by Mark Johnson, seems to be another one of those where the blogger writes two entries and apparently quits, the last entry being made March 23. Not a good idea to use a blog like that for an example of what a blog is supposed to be.

The second one, Knowing Humans, blogged by Brian Holtz, is another puzzler as the last post seems to have been made on March 2. He hasn't posted in over a month. Another bad example to use.

At first glance, it looks like Brian's topic of choice is Libertarian Party of California internal politics which, would seem to me, to be the last thing of interest to Joe and Jill Sixpack. But, looking at his past posts, he does get into any number of different topics, inserting his own take on what the libertarian or Libertarian Party position is, or should be.

Not sure that that's the best way to approach issues, either, as I don't think explaining the fine details of libertarian philosophy is of much interest to anyone other than...well... Libertarian Party insiders, if even them! But, he gave it his best shot before he gave up, so I'll give him kudos for the effort.

I'm not saying this blog is perfect, but I think I've done a better job than the examples they gave. They should have had my blog listed. I'm sooo hurt.




2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Fred, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.".

Sorry to hear of all your problems, Brian. But, nope, the blog comes first. The rest of the world can wait.

And that's from someone who has at least a few problems of his own.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to talk to Mr. Cohen, who is the editor of California Freedom. I apologize for not including more blogs in the article, but there is limited space. For example, the blog of Angela Keaton, who is on the Executive Committee, was not included. I've read your blog since you e-mailed me and I do think you do an excellent job of maintaining a presence on the Web. I apologize for not updating the eLiberty portion of iPioneer, but you'll note that my regular blog is updated quite regularly.

I hope you continue to keep writing. The more blog presence we Libertarians have, the better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home